Friday, January 3, 2014

Makai Queen, by author Tara Fairfield

Happy New Year to all!  Wishing everyone blessings, laughter and health in the coming year. I am also hoping it'll warm up, because it's beyond cold here. 

OK, back to business. Today we have author Tara Fairfield, and she brings with her a special interview of Ka Moho Alii, Ruler of Sharks! How exciting is that? 
So, let's get on with it, and allow me to introduce Dr. Tara Fairfield.

Author Bio: Dr. Fairfield is a licensed psychologist with her doctorate from Northern Arizona University. Her first novel, Makai Queen, was released on 2/7/2013. She has been a featured guest on Teen Talk and Parent Talk radio with Nicole O'Dell (Choose Now Ministries) speaking on issues relevant to youth today. She also writes a monthly column on identity targeted toward teens for Choose Now Ministries. With over twenty five years experience working with youth and families, and as the mother of three grown children, Dr. Fairfield has dedicated her life to helping struggling teens find their confidence and faith in the Lord.

State of Residence: Washington State 
Tara Fairfield, Ed.D

Home life (Family, pets, etc.): I have three grown children, two daughters, a son and three cherished grandchildren. I love animals and live with four dogs. Some might question the sanity of sharing my home with so many four legged friends but they add humor and love to my life. I’m fortunate to live in a place where I can be near the ocean and have a large garden.

Occupation: Psychologist, Speaker and Author.

Hobbies that you enjoy: Most of my free time is spent reading and writing or in ministry. But, when I can tear myself away, I also love to travel, snorkel, kayak, go to the ballet and play with my grandchildren. I am part of a great ministry team at Live Out Loud!

This spring I’m traveling to the Philippines with my daughter to work with street children. I’m excited to see how God will use us and have no doubt it will be a challenging and rewarding experience.

Favorite authors: C.S. Lewis

Go-to beverage of choice: I make my own concoction of sparkling water and juice. During the summer I make it into sparkling lemonade.

What's your blog/website(s)? http://makaiqueen.com and http://tarafairfield.com

Why do you blog? What do you hope to accomplish with blogging? I hope to share a message of hope and connect with others. I am new to blogging and its been fun meeting other book bloggers and learning from them! My two daughters have a blog about healthy parenting and I’ve learned a lot from them as well. http://www.ashandalysbabes.com/blogs/news

Any words of encouragement or wisdom to impart? As every writer knows, it’s not easy to get your book published and noticed. I encourage everyone out there to never give up! If you have a passion for writing, don’t let anyone discourage you!


Book Summary:
Off the coast of Lanai, far beyond the sailboats, there is a hidden world beneath the beryl-blue sea, the marvelous kingdom of Moku-ola, a place where man and beast live in harmony.  Unknown and forbidden to those living above the surface, it has never been discovered....until now. 

Tessa, a curious teenager with a taste for adventure roams the sandy beaches of Lanai. Feeling lost and hurt she longs for meaning and a place in this world. By chance, Tessa encounters a mysterious man who appears to be drowning. The attempted rescue puts her own life in danger as she is abducted and dragged out to sea.

Far beneath the ocean’s surface, Tessa is brought to the frightening and wondrous land of Moku-ola. As the dangers of this world threaten her very survival, Tessa must overcome the barriers of self-doubt to discover the keys to her royal destiny.

 And now....drum roll please....the interview you have all been waiting for!

Ka Moho Alii- Ruler of Sharks

Tell us a little bit about yourself. What motivates you?
I was born to rule the sea, a prince of Moku-ola. My brother, Kupua, might be older, but he is not stronger. One day everyone in Moku-ola will recognize my power and reject their imposter Queen, Tessa. I will send her back to the surface where she belongs.

What is your greatest strength?
My control over all sharks living in the ocean will always be my greatest strength.  We exist as one and none can refuse my call, bound to serve and follow my every command.  They share my desires, goals and emotions, my sharks are more than servants, they are my true family. What greater strength could a king have than the most ruthless predators in the ocean at his command?

Do you have a weakness?
No. Why would you even ask me such a thing? Do you doubt my power?

No, Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you. What is your favorite food?
Squid, it’s speed make it a worthy prey.

What is your favorite thing about living under the sea?
….When I’m deep, riding the back of my shark, pursuing prey, rocketing through currents, the rush of water against my face…..ahhhh…..nothing can compare to such a thrill.


Who are your heroes?
No greater predators exist than my sharks and greatest of them all is Nikko, my closest ally and friend. Strong, ruthless, dominant, he exudes the qualities of a triumphant hero. Nikko is worthy of my loyalty and admiration.


Any message you’d like to give to those of us living on the surface?
Huh? I care nothing for what happens above the surface. I didn’t realize you were a surface dweller….this interview is over.

Review Quotes: 
"Expect danger and fast-paced adventure in this coming-of-age tale that's a "fantastical adventure" wrapped in imaginative fantasy with underlying Christian themes of love, forgiveness, mercy and compassions. It's an exciting summer teen read…." Gail Welborne, Christian Examiner

"I could not put this book down!! I loved it. I could visually see what the writer was writing about. The entire book is full of adventure and unexpected turns. The author totally takes you to this fascinating underwater world that you'll never want to leave." Sofonda - Review taken from Amazon.com

"Tara Fairfield does an excellent job crafting this story." Christian Lit Review
Where can readers connect with you online?
Follow me on twitter @makaiqueen
Like my facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/MakaiQueen

No comments:

Post a Comment